The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time editor. The Center’s editorial department is the hub between the center’s various programs, which currently examine the socioeconomic, political, security, gender, humanitarian, and human rights issues at play in Yemen.
As an editor you would work immediately under the chief editor and in close cooperation with senior management, researchers and writers. Primary duties would involve editing articles for publication and facilitating all aspects of the production cycle, from helping writers develop and structure ideas to posting finished articles online.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Sana’a, while the majority of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East and in Western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks, and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
- Strong editorial experience;
- a command of English that goes well beyond grammar and vocabulary;
- an intuitive sense for how the arrangement of words impacts their reception and the ability to craft them appropriately for the audience at hand;
- in editing others, you are able to identify and strip away the language habits, confusions and ego that often blur the message;
- the ability to properly structure a sound argument at 5,000-words or more;
- the ability to work remotely and travel periodically for Sana’a Center events; and
- you are candid, poised and patient.
- Arabic language skills, spoken and written;
- previous experience related to Yemen and/or the surrounding region;
- economic and financial literacy.
- Based on experience, and to be reviewed following a three-month trial period.
For those interested, please email email@example.com with the following:
- Your CV and a cover letter.
- Three professional writing/editing samples.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or age.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. We will contact only those candidates who meet the qualifications and seem like they may be a good fit for our team.
This job opening will close once a qualified candidate is found.
More about the Sana’a Center:
Founded in 2014, the Sana’a Center is one of the few independent research centers that has continued to operate in Yemen throughout the ongoing armed conflict. While the Center maintains cordial relations with all key stakeholders it has remained fiercely unaligned with any of the belligerent parties. The Sana’a Center has thus maintained a unique positioning and ability to work throughout Yemen and beyond.
The Sana’a Center maintains a strong network across Yemen with access to key political, military and security figures, tribal leaders, the financial sector, economists, journalists, humanitarian actors, civil society and other important stakeholders. The Center has also established a broad network and presence within the international community connecting it to international organizations, diplomatic circles, regional and international policy makers, research centers and global forums.
The Sana’a Center’s reports and researchers are widely quoted in local, regional and international media outlets, while the analysis of the Center’s experts is regularly sought out by local and international stakeholders.