The Sana’a Center is seeking a full-time Media and Communications Officer. As an independent Yemeni research center we occupy the unique position of being headquartered in Sana’a, operating in all areas of Yemen, and maintaining access with almost all local, regional and international stakeholders in the ongoing conflict. From this position the Sana’a Center has, since its inception in 2014, regularly produced some of the most incisive and impactful research available on Yemen.
We seek a Media and Communications Officer who will ensure that the knowledge we produce reaches both policy makers at the levers of change and the widest possible global audience. We seek to shape policy regarding Yemen and elevate the wider conversations surrounding the country and the conflict – the successful candidate for the Media and Communications Officer position will lead this effort.
Job tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Developing an overall media and communications strategy for the Sana’a Center. This will involve leveraging Sana’a Center research and knowledge production to foster a more nuanced, informed conversation about Yemen in both policy circles and the international media.
- Coordinating Sana’a Center relations and partnerships with international organizations and media outlets. This will involve managing and building upon the Sana’a Center’s existing network of contacts.
- Creating platforms from which the center’s researchers can speak with the most reach and impact. This will involve working one-to-one with members of the Sana’a Center team to build their media presence – such as helping to draft and pitch comment pieces and op-eds – and coaching for public events.
- Running media briefings by the Sana’a Center and its partners, and creating coverage for Sana’a Center events. This will include drafting and disseminating Sana’a Center press releases and newsletters.
- Maximizing the potential of the Sana’a Center’s social media presence.
- Managing the Yemeni Media Breakfast program.
- The ability to manage large networks of contacts with complex interdynamics.
- A commanding voice in spoken and written English; those candidates similarly skilled in Arabic are preferred. Any other language fluencies will be looked upon favorably (the more the merrier).
- An extensive media background, knowledge of the current media landscape and a strong ‘news sense’.
- An ability to successfully manage public events.
- An ability to mentor in regard to media proficiency and public speaking.
- An understanding of the Yemeni context, an ability to discern fact from bias within such and to maintain an objective voice in a highly polarized landscape.
- The flexibility to work non-traditional work hours with a team across numerous time zones.
- A deep understanding of and ability to leverage social media platforms.
- A bachelor’s degree at minimum – a master’s degree preferred – in journalism, communications, media or a related field.
- Ability to design and produce infographics, maps and other visual material.
- Layout design and language editing skills.
- Based on experience, and to be reviewed following a three-month trial period.
For those interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your CV and a cover letter.
- Three professional writing samples.
Location: Flexible, given that most of the work will be remote, though preference will be given to candidates based in Beirut, Lebanon.
Application Deadline: July 2, 2019 – 11.59 PM EST
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or age.
More about the Sana’a Center:
Founded in 2014, the Sana’a Center is one of the few independent research centers that has continued to operate in Yemen throughout the ongoing armed conflict. While the Center maintains cordial relations with all key stakeholders it has remained fiercely unaligned with any of the belligerent parties. The Sana’a Center has thus maintained a unique positioning and ability to work throughout Yemen and beyond.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Sana’a, while the majority of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East and in Western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks, and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.