|Application Deadline:||November 15, 2023|
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a part-time Consultant. The selected candidate will work closely with the Justice and Reconciliation Team.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Yemen, while most of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, the Middle East, and major cities around the world. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks, and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide direct support and technical advice to Sana’a Center on matters of transitional justice and reconciliation.
- Conduct research on transitional justice and provide advice to Sana’a Center and its partners.
- Support the road-mapping of a vision for transitional justice in Yemen.
- Support strategy development and needs assessments for joint activities between Yemeni and international civil society.
- Support the institutionalization of the Justice Network.
- Support in building local ownership of justice and reconciliation efforts.
- Organize and facilitate regular coordination calls involving Yemeni and international civil society actors working on justice and reconciliation. This includes managing participatory agenda-setting, composing summary notes, arranging follow-up, and other related administrative tasks.
- Coordinate effective information sharing amongst Yemeni and international participants.
- Liaise with and facilitate engagement between Yemeni and international CSOs and key UN, governmental, multilateral actors, and donors.
- Organize and coordinate training sessions and workshops engaging Yemeni and international groups to foster knowledge-sharing and capacity-building.
- Respond to other reasonable tasks requested by the line manager.
Qualification and competencies:
- Master’s level degree in international relations, international law, human rights, transitional justice, political science, or any related filed.
- At least 5 years of professional experience with civil society, human rights, peace-building sectors, or relevant work experience.
- Fluency in both written and spoken Arabic and English.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Experience with global advocacy, network coordination, capacity building and partnership management.
- Familiarity with justice and human rights issues in Yemen/MENA region is highly desirable.
- Reports to: Senior Researcher
- Contract type: Part-Time.
- Duration: 12 months.
- Location: Remote.
- Joining date: As soon as possible.
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies
Founded in 2014, the Sana’a Center is one of the few independent research centers that has continued to operate in Yemen throughout the ongoing conflict. While the Center maintains cordial relations with all key stakeholders, it has remained fiercely unaligned with any of the belligerent parties. The Sana’a Center has thus maintained a unique position and the ability to work throughout Yemen and beyond.
The Center maintains a strong network across Yemen with access to key political, military and security figures, tribal leaders, the financial sector, economists, journalists, humanitarian actors, civil society, and other important stakeholders. The Center has also established a broad network and presence within the international community, connecting it to international organizations, diplomatic circles, regional and international policymakers, research centers and global forums.
The Sana’a Center’s reports and researchers are widely quoted in local, regional, and international media outlets, while the analysis of the Center’s experts is regularly sought out by local and international stakeholders.