Digital and Full Stack Developer
|Salary:||Depends on experience|
|Location:||World , Yemen|
|Working hours:||40 hours per week|
|Application Deadline:||June 1, 2020|
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time Digital and Full Stack Developer. The selected candidate will work closely with the Communications Department and all Sana’a Center staff. Primary duties will involve developing and maintaining the Sana’a Center website and digital platforms, developing and leading the implementation of the digitizing strategy and leading overall IT support for the Sana’a Center.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development and rollout of the digitizing strategy for the Center;
- Provide technical guidance, knowledge transfers and mentorship to peers;
- Execute code builds and test production environments;
- Run software tests to spot and resolve bugs and inconsistencies;
- Work with team members to find creative, innovative solutions to problems;
- Detect and fulfill front-end and back-end requirements;
- Explain complex technical topics in plain language to a non-technical audience;
- Plan, execute, manage and support high availability systems, including daily & weekly backups, etc. Troubleshooting/support of internet and network connections.
- Collaborate with teams to scope additional product features and product roadmap if necessary;
- Communicate effectively within a multi-disciplinary project team to complete assigned tasks on time and within budget;
- Demonstrate creative thinking and technical problem solving in the design, development, integration, packaging, and testing of software or solutions;
- Collaborate with other departments to understand their needs and devise ways to accommodate them with software;
- Perform regular audits to identify software inefficiencies and mastermind ways to improve workflow;
- Manage content and applications of the company website; develop website scope and capabilities according to company requirements, including portal approach supporting partner/client secure area, etc;
- Implement and rollout new technologies;
- Continually update documentation for all programs for internal and external reference;
- Provide testing, documentation, training and support for third-party software products;
- Resolve user-submitted problems and questions.
Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field;
- 3 years’ experience working with metadata standards and digital objects;
- Experience creating web content is essential;
- Understanding of the use of metadata schema and tools (in particular MODS, PubMed and JATS);
- Experience with frontend and backend development (Python, Nodejs, CSS, etc.);
- Experience with OOP languages (Java, C++, VB.NET) is an asset’
- Experience in using various reporting and BI tools such as SQL Server Reporting Services, Crystal Reports and other Open Source BI Tools.
- Experience with archival theory and practices and archival management systems;
- Knowledge of utilizing computer technology and software (e.g., word processing, spreadsheet, and database software; web-based tools);
- Detail-oriented and results-driven;
- Adept at solving complicated technical problems and conversing with clients;
- Strong programming, code development, code debugging and testing skills, troubleshooting skills, and experience with numerous operating systems, development environments, programming languages and architectures.
- Ability to clearly document and track progress across many competing priorities;
- Ability to effectively organize and manage multiple assignments with challenging timelines;
- Fluency in both Arabic and English is essential;
- Ability to adapt and adjust to changing priorities;
- Positive attitude and the ability to work well with others;
- Demonstrated initiative and motivation.
- Based on experience, and to be reviewed following a three-month trial period.
To apply, please email [email protected] with the following:
- Your CV and a cover letter
- A sample of a website you designed
Location: Flexible, as most work will be remote.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2020
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or age.
More about the Sana’a Center:
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Sana’a, while the majority of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East and in Western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks, and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies
Founded in 2014, the Sana’a Center is one of the few independent research centers that has continued to operate in Yemen throughout the ongoing conflict. While the Center maintains cordial relations with all key stakeholders, it has remained fiercely unaligned with any of the belligerent parties. The Sana’a Center has thus maintained a unique position and the ability to work throughout Yemen and beyond.
The Center maintains a strong network across Yemen with access to key political, military and security figures, tribal leaders, the financial sector, economists, journalists, humanitarian actors, civil society, and other important stakeholders. The Center has also established a broad network and presence within the international community, connecting it to international organizations, diplomatic circles, regional and international policymakers, research centers and global forums.
The Sana’a Center’s reports and researchers are widely quoted in local, regional, and international media outlets, while the analysis of the Center’s experts is regularly sought out by local and international stakeholders.