Project Coordinator for Economic Unit
|Depends on experience
|Fixed Term , Full-Time
|40 hours per week
|July 14, 2023
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time Project Coordinator for Economic Unit to join the Sana’a Center Economic Unit.
The center’s Economic Unit is among the preeminent research bodies examining socioeconomic trends and dynamics in Yemen, regularly producing some of the most impactful and forward-thinking reports available on the country. As a successful candidate, you will play a central role in all aspects of the Economic Unit’s work, working under the project manager while collaborating and coordinating with the chief economist, other members of the Economic Unit, and the Sana’a Center’s other departments.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Yemen, while most of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East, and in Western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks, and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Project Coordinator is required to perform duties and undertake responsibilities as follows:
- Work with the project manager and chief economist to design work plans to fulfill program outputs.
- Support the chief economist in conceptualizing and planning for the assigned thematic area, including identifying top-priority issues based on project objectives.
- Help develop the strategic and operational work plans of the Economic Unit.
- Arrange and Schedule meetings and consultations with the Center’s partners and stakeholders, in coordination with the project manager and chief economist.
- Be responsible for project operations and supervision of activities, in coordination with the project manager.
- Be responsible for organizing project events such as seminars, meetings, and workshops, inside and outside of Yemen, in coordination with the project manager.
- Ensure effective and professional implementation of the project in accordance with the agreed plan and allocated budgets.
- Report all project activities and ensure the full implementation of the project activities.
- Work closely with admin and finance under the project manager’s direction to ensure all logistical and administrative preparations are implemented in a cost-effective manner for project events.
- Assist in coordinating production cycles within the Economic Unit, with other Sana’a Center
personnel and departments, and with external researchers and partner organizations.
- Manage administrative needs of assigned projects.
- Ensure proper filing of project documents.
- Ensure that Sana’a Center policies are applied in all aspects of the assigned projects.
- Actively contribute to the conceptualization and content development of the economic file.
- Suggest experts and key Yemeni and international actors relevant to the thematic area and carry out the needed outreach to include their input in the content development of the economic unit.
Qualification and Skills:
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, international development, or any related field.
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in a project management or coordinator role in a relevant sector, involving oversight of activities.
- Knowledge of Yemen’s economic context, dynamics, and political economy.
- Bilingual (Arabic/English).
- Excellent organization, use of initiative, time management, presentation, and communication skills are a must.
- The ability to work efficiently under pressure, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines, while maintaining attention to detail and working efficiently in a team.
- Reports to: Project Manager.
- Contract type: Fixed Term.
- Duration: 12-month renewable based on the fund availability.
- Starting salary: To be determined based on experience.
- Location: Remote.
- Joining date: As soon as possible.
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies
Founded in 2014, the Sana’a Center is one of the few independent research centers that has continued to operate in Yemen throughout the ongoing conflict. While the Center maintains cordial relations with all key stakeholders, it has remained fiercely unaligned with any of the belligerent parties. The Sana’a Center has thus maintained a unique position and the ability to work throughout Yemen and beyond.
The Center maintains a strong network across Yemen with access to key political, military and security figures, tribal leaders, the financial sector, economists, journalists, humanitarian actors, civil society, and other important stakeholders. The Center has also established a broad network and presence within the international community, connecting it to international organizations, diplomatic circles, regional and international policymakers, research centers and global forums.
The Sana’a Center’s reports and researchers are widely quoted in local, regional, and international media outlets, while the analysis of the Center’s experts is regularly sought out by local and international stakeholders.