Senior Researcher (Environmental and Water)
|Contract duration:||12-month renewable|
|Application Deadline:||July 20, 2022|
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time Senior Researcher (Environment and Water). The selected candidate will work closely with all Sana’a Center departments.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Yemen, while most of our team works remotely from locations across the country, around the Middle East and in Western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, access, networks and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As a senior researcher, you will assist the work of the Sana’a Center in relation to water, environment and climate change, under the supervision of the research director and in close cooperation with your colleagues in the department and across the Sana’a Center. Specific tasks include:
- Taking the lead on research projects and field studies related to the above-mentioned thematic area. This includes building a research team, training the team on data collection and conducting quality assurance, analysis and writing.
- Writing policy papers, Yemen Environment Bulletins, program proposals, presentations and responding to ad hoc information and analysis requests.
- Establishing and maintaining a community of practice comprised of Yemeni and international environment and water experts to enhance collective analysis and problem-solving.
- Maintaining regular communication with experts and policy makers working on environmental issues in Yemen.
- Keeping abreast of policy and scientific advancements onn water and the environment in similar contexts and proposing new avenues of research, liaising with partners and donors as needed.
- Coordinating production cycles with the Research Department, other Sana’a Center departments and external researchers and partner organizations.
- Curating an electronic library of the most relevant publications related to water and the environment in Yemen, through continuous tracking of reports and data published by international and national institutions, research think tanks, government institutions and NGOs.
- Identifying and analysing data sources to develop and keep an up-to-date database of environmental and water indicators.
- Working with our graphics and mapping team to develop infographics that convey environmental trends and data in a visual, easy-to-understand manner.
- Collaborating with the translation team to ensure the accuracy and quality of translated reports, as well as the consistency of environmental and water terminology.
- Presenting research findings at meetings, briefings and conferences.
- Helping develop the strategic and operational work plans of the Research Department.
- Complying with research ethics and supporting the Research Department in ensuring the integrity of the knowledge production of Sana’a Center.
Qualification and Skills:
- A university degree in environment, climate change, water resource management or a relevant field (preference for holders of masters or doctoral degrees).
- In-depth knowledge of the Yemeni context and national policies on water and the environment.
- A strong background in scientific and policy research.
- A portfolio of previously published research relevant to the environment, climate change or water management.
- Strong oral and writing skills in Arabic and English, with proven ability to prepare documents on complex subjects, speak and write persuasively and present ideas clearly and concisely.
- Strong communication, coordination and project management skills. Demonstrated experience in liaising between governmental and non-governmental actors and donors will be looked on favourably.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines, while maintaining attention to detail.
- Reports to: Research Director.
- Contract type: Fixed Term.
- Duration: 12-months, renewable based on the availability of funds.
- Starting salary: To be determined based on experience.
- Location: Remote.
- Joining date: As soon as possible.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can apply by sending a CV and Cover Letter and three professional writing/research samples to: [email protected]org,
Please mention the job title in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: July 20, 2022
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is an independent think-tank that seeks to foster change through knowledge production with a focus on Yemen and the surrounding region. The Center’s publications and programs, offered in both Arabic and English, cover political, social, economic and security related developments, aiming to impact policy locally, regionally, and internationally.