**This position has been filled and applications are no longer being accepted** The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time Arabic-to-English/English-to-Arabic Translator. As an independent Yemeni research center, we occupy the unique position of being headquartered in Sana’a, operating in all areas of Yemen, and maintaining access with almost all local, regional and international stakeholders in the ongoing conflict. From this position the Sana’a Center has, since its inception in 2014, regularly produced some of the most incisive and impactful research available on Yemen.
We seek a Translator who will ensure the high standards of our publications, which are geared toward policy makers at the levers of change in the Arab world and globally. The successful candidate for the Translator position will allow our message to be accessed by the widest possible global audience.
Job tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Translating drafts of Arabic research papers, reports and policy briefs on economic, political, security, humanitarian, civil society and other issues relating to Yemen and the region into English, and translating English reports into Arabic. This will involve working closely with writers and editors, and working under deadlines.
- Translating proposals and other documents from Arabic to English or English to Arabic.
- Ensuring finished products capture the original meaning and tone.
- Assisting with translation at Sana’a Center conferences and events as well as during one-on-one teleconferences between staff.
- Flawless spoken and written English and Arabic. Any other language fluencies will be looked upon favorably (the more the merrier).
- The ability to manage a high volume of reports and grasp new concepts quickly; the work will require a command of legal, economic, governmental and academic jargon.
- Excellent proofreading skills; able to spot spelling, grammar and punctuation errors. Attention to detail is essential.
- Proven track record as a translator or interpreter.
- The flexibility to work non-traditional hours with a team across numerous time zones.
- A bachelor’s degree at minimum.
- Based on experience, and to be reviewed following a three-month trial period.
For those interested, please email email@example.com with the following:
- Your CV and a cover letter.
- Three professional translation samples, including at least one English-to-Arabic sample and one Arabic-to-English sample.
Location: Flexible, given that most of the work will be remote.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2019 – 11.59 PM EST
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or age.
More about the Sana’a Center:
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Sana’a, while the majority of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East and in Western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks, and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.