|Salary:||Depends on experience|
|Application Deadline:||March 5, 2021|
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a research mentor consultant. The selected candidate will work closely with the Research Director. The Research Mentor will provide guidance and support to research mentees from ideation to publication.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Yemen, while the majority of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East and in western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks, and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mentor researchers in methods and techniques to produce quality research.
- Help researchers define their research topics, a viable research problem and an appropriate methodology to develop a research proposal according to Sana’a Center’s standards and templates.
- Provide guidance on how to collect data and analyse it.
- Provide guidance on how to structure a research paper and develop an outline
- Provide guidance on addressing the editor’s comments and requests for clarification and finding supporting sources.
- Support the research department in capacity building activities such as organizing training sessions, and preparing guides for mentees and other researchers.
- Work in Arabic and English as needed.
- Work with at least 4-5 mentees, maintaining a timeframe of maximum 2 months to complete one publication cycle with a mentee.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the line manager.
Qualification and Skills:
- At least a Master degree in Social Sciences, humanities or education.
- Demonstrated interest in research, writing or mentorship.
- At least 3 years of experience in research.
- Proven communication and facilitation skills both in Arabic and English.
- Must possess computer skills, ability to use google drive, conduct online search and identify reliable information.
- Reports to: Research Director
- Contract type: Consultancy
- Length of consultancy: 5 months (based on proposed timeline)
- Location: Remote
- Joining date: anticipated to start at the end of March
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies
Founded in 2014, the Sana’a Center is one of the few independent research centers that has continued to operate in Yemen throughout the ongoing conflict. While the Center maintains cordial relations with all key stakeholders, it has remained fiercely unaligned with any of the belligerent parties. The Sana’a Center has thus maintained a unique position and the ability to work throughout Yemen and beyond.
The Center maintains a strong network across Yemen with access to key political, military and security figures, tribal leaders, the financial sector, economists, journalists, humanitarian actors, civil society, and other important stakeholders. The Center has also established a broad network and presence within the international community, connecting it to international organizations, diplomatic circles, regional and international policymakers, research centers and global forums.
The Sana’a Center’s reports and researchers are widely quoted in local, regional, and international media outlets, while the analysis of the Center’s experts is regularly sought out by local and international stakeholders.