Director of Research
|Salary:||Dependent on experience.|
|Location:||World , Yemen|
|Working hours:||8 hours per day|
|Application Deadline:||February 10, 2020|
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time Director of Research. This person will be responsible for advancing and refining the research methods the Sana’a Center uses to produce our groundbreaking papers and reports. These currently cover socioeconomic, diplomatic, political, security, gender, humanitarian and human rights issues at play in Yemen.
The Director of Research will work closely with the center’s programs and editorial departments in designing qualitative and quantitative research studies, and in ensuring their rigor and scholarly integrity. Responsibilities also include mentoring researchers and developing their skills in structuring studies, and in the collection, analysis and presentation of data.
Role and responsibilities:
- Ensure the quality and integrity of Sana’a Center research.
- Support the development and coordination of research projects, including the design of research methodologies, the preparation of protocols, monitoring of data quality and assisting researchers with data analysis.
- Train researchers to the highest standards in the collection, analysis and presentation of data.
- Oversee the coding and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, and participate in developing recommendations based on research findings.
- Oversee studies from start to finish (including protocol development, ethical considerations, data analysis and report writing).
- Work closely with researchers, editors and the head of graphics to develop clear and effective presentations of research findings.
- Develop a database of existing literature on Yemen, its relations with the region, and other relevant research.
- Support Sana’a Center researchers and writers as needed to develop high-quality reports.
- D./graduate degree in a social science field or related fields. Ph.D. is preferred but candidates with a Master’s degree will be considered if they have complementary professional experience]
- Experience with different research approaches, designs and methods; qualitative, quantitative and mixed method; experience with statistical modeling, analysis and standard software packages.
- Fluency in Arabic and English; experience designing and conducting research and writing in both Arabic and English.
- Experience in conducting research in Yemen (preferably) or elsewhere in the Middle East.
- Excellent organizational skills, including keen attention to detail and the ability to manage time effectively, track and follow-up on multiple complex tasks.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and relationship management skills.
- Experience in training and/or mentoring researchers.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours with staff spread across multiple time zones.
- Ability to design research studies to be proactive and adaptive to highly dynamic and challenging environments.
- Reports to: Deputy Executive Director
- Starting salary: To be determined based on experience
- Contract type: 12-month renewable
- Location: Yemen, but open to applicants abroad in the case of an exceptionally strong candidate.
- Travel: 30% of time working
For those interested, please email [email protected] with the following:
- Your CV and a cover letter.
- 2 samples of research lead by you
Application Deadline: 10th of Feburary
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or age.
About the Sana’a Center:
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multilingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Sana’a, while the majority of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East and in Western cities. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is an independent think-tank that seeks to foster change through knowledge production with a focus on Yemen and the surrounding region. The Center’s publications and programs, offered in both Arabic and English, cover political, social, economic and security related developments, aiming to impact policy locally, regionally, and internationally.