|Salary:||Dependent on experience.|
|Contract duration:||12-month renewable|
|Working hours:||8 hours per day|
|Application Deadline:||June 30, 2022|
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time Economic Researcher to join the Sana’a Center Economic Unit.
The center’s Economic Unit is among the preeminent research bodies examining socioeconomic trends and dynamics in Yemen, regularly producing some of the most impactful and forward-thinking reports available on the country. As a successful candidate, you will play a central role in all aspects of the Economic Unit’s work, working under the chief economist while collaborating and coordinating with other members of the Economic Unit and the Sana’a Center’s other departments.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Yemen, while most of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East, and in Western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks, and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As an economic researcher, you will be expected to perform all reasonable and appropriate tasks to assist the work of the Sana’a Center Economic Unit, as per the direction of the chief economist and in close cooperation with colleagues in the Economic Unit and across the Sana’a Center generally. Specific tasks include:
- Curating an electronic library of the most relevant economic publications related to Yemen through continuous tracking of reports and data published by international and national institutions, research think tanks, government institutions and NGOs.
- Identifying and analysing data sources to develop and keep up-to-date a database of socioeconomic indicators, trends and projections (such as annual economic growth, per capita income, inflation, employment, exchange rates, public revenues and spending, public debt, etc.).
- Identifying key economic trends and developments, and proposing new avenues of research for the Sana’a Center Economic Unit.
- Researching and writing policy papers, Yemen Economic Bulletins, program proposals and presentations, as well as contributing monthly to the economic developments section of The Yemen Review and responding to ad hoc information and analysis requests for the Sana’a Center’s Economic Unit.
- Creating infographics to convey economic trends and data in a visual, easy-to-understand manner.
- Coordinating production cycles within the Economic Unit, with other Sana’a Center personnel and departments, and with external researchers and partner organizations.
- Presenting Economic Unit research findings at meetings, briefing and conferences (virtual or otherwise).
- Collaborating with the Translation Department to ensure the accuracy and quality of translated reports, as well as the consistency of economic terminology.
- Helping develop the strategic and operational work plans of the Economic Unit.
- Maintain regular communication with actors working on economic issues in Yemen and keeping abreast with developments and new approaches to economic recovery and development in Yemen and similar contexts.
- Establishing and maintaining a community of practice composed of Yemeni and international economic experts to enhance collective analysis and problem-solving.
- Liaising with partners and donors.
Qualification and Skills:
- A university degree in economics or a related field.
- In-depth knowledge of Yemen’s economic context, dynamics, and political economy.
- Strong background in economic research, analysis and methodology.
- A portfolio of previously published economic research.
- Proficiency in statistical software packages (Stata, R, SPSS). Aptitude with economic and financial modeling, analysis, forecasting and data visualization is highly desirable.
- Strong writing skills with proven ability to prepare documents on complex subjects, speak and write persuasively, and present ideas clearly and concisely.
- Bilingual (Arabic/English).
- Strong team communication, coordination and project management skills. Demonstrated experience in liaising between governmental, non-governmental and private sector institutions will be looked on favorably.
- The ability to work efficiently under pressure, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines, while maintaining attention to detail and work efficiently in a team.
- Reports to: Chief Economist.
- Contract type: Fixed Term.
- Duration: 12-month renewable based on the fund availability.
- Starting salary: To be determined based on experience.
- Location: Remote.
- Joining date: As soon as possible.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can apply by sending a CV, Cover Letter and three professional writing/research samples to: [email protected],
Please mention the job title in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2022
Only complete applications written in English will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or age.
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is an independent think-tank that seeks to foster change through knowledge production with a focus on Yemen and the surrounding region. The Center’s publications and programs, offered in both Arabic and English, cover political, social, economic and security related developments, aiming to impact policy locally, regionally, and internationally.