|Salary:||Dependent on experience.|
|Working hours:||8 hours per day|
|Application Deadline:||January 21, 2021|
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time editor to join the center’s editorial team.
The center’s publications cover an ever-expanding spectrum of topics related to Yemen, including politics, diplomacy, the economy, military developments, security, society, gender, humanitarian issues, human rights and the environment.
As the successful candidate, you will play a central role in all aspects of the production cycle, while also collaborating with other members of the editorial, research and senior management teams. You will work immediately under the chief editor, editing articles, policy briefs and papers for publication, helping writers develop and structure ideas, and posting finished articles online.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Sana’a, while most team members work remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East and worldwide. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
- Strong editorial experience;
- a command of English that goes well beyond grammar and vocabulary;
- preference will be given to candidates fluent in spoken and written Arabic;
- an intuitive sense for how the arrangement of words impacts their reception and the ability to craft them appropriately for the audience at hand;
- in editing others, you are able to identify and strip away the language habits, confusions, bias and ego that often blur the message;
- the ability to properly structure a sound argument at 5,000 words or more;
- the ability to work remotely and travel periodically for Sana’a Center events; and
- you are candid, poised and patient;
- preference will be given to candidates with strong economic and financial literacy;
- preference will be given to candidates with previous experience related to Yemen and/or the surrounding region.
Those interested should email [email protected] with the following:
- Your CV and a cover letter;
- three professional writing/editing samples.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or age.
Applications will be accepted until January 21, 2021. Shortlisted candidates will be required to take an editing test. We will contact only those candidates who meet our requirements and seem like they may be a good fit for our team.
More about the Sana’a Center:
Founded in 2014, the Sana’a Center is one of the few independent research centers that has continued to operate in Yemen throughout the ongoing armed conflict. While the Center maintains cordial relations with all key stakeholders it has remained fiercely unaligned with any of the belligerent parties. The Sana’a Center has thus maintained a unique positioning and ability to work throughout Yemen and beyond.
The Sana’a Center maintains a strong network across Yemen with access to key political, military and security figures, tribal leaders, the financial sector, economists, journalists, humanitarian actors, civil society and other important stakeholders. The Center has also established a broad network and presence within the international community connecting it to international organizations, diplomatic circles, regional and international policy makers, research centers and global forums.
The Sana’a Center’s reports and researchers are widely quoted in local, regional and international media outlets, while the analysis of the Center’s experts is regularly sought out by local and international stakeholders.
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is an independent think-tank that seeks to foster change through knowledge production with a focus on Yemen and the surrounding region. The Center’s publications and programs, offered in both Arabic and English, cover political, social, economic and security related developments, aiming to impact policy locally, regionally, and internationally.