|Salary:||Dependent on experience.|
|Contract duration:||12-month renewable|
|Working hours:||8 hours per day|
|Application Deadline:||May 5, 2022|
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time editor. The Center’s publications cover an ever-expanding spectrum of topics related to Yemen, including politics, diplomacy, the economy, military developments, security, society, gender, humanitarian issues, human rights and the environment.
As the successful candidate for the full-time editor position, you will play a central role in all aspects of the production cycle, while also collaborating with other members of the editorial, research and senior management teams. You will work immediately under the chief editor, editing articles, policy briefs and papers for publication, helping writers develop and structure ideas, and posting finished articles online.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Sana’a, while the majority of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East and in western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks, and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As an editor, you will be expected to perform all reasonable and appropriate tasks to assist the production cycle of the Sana’a Center’s editorial department, as per the direction of the chief editor and in close cooperation with fellow editors, senior management, researchers and writers. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Helping writers develop and structure ideas.
- Compiling research and consulting with the center’s in-house experts.
- Rewriting copy in line with in-house style; structural and stylistic editing for clarity of meaning and argument, adjusting language and eliminating jargon.
- Copyediting for grammar, usage, spelling and punctuation.
- Line-editing and proofreading.
- Posting articles online.
- A university degree in any relevant field.
- Strong editorial experience; experienced writers in English-language journalism and research will also be considered.
- Bilingual in English and Arabic
- A command of English that goes well beyond grammar and vocabulary.
- An intuitive sense of how the arrangement of words impacts their reception and the ability to craft them appropriately for the audience at hand.
- In editing others, being able to identify and strip away the language habits, confusion, bias and ego that can blur the message.
- The ability to properly structure a sound argument at 5,000 words or more.
- A strong background on Yemen.
- The ability to work remotely.
- The ability to travel periodically for Sana’a Center events.
- Reports to: Chief Editor
- Contract type: Fixed Term
- Duration: 12-month renewable
- Starting salary: To be determined based on experience
- Location: Remote
- Joining date: As soon as possible
How to apply:
Interested candidates can apply by sending the following:
- CV and a cover letter
- Three professional writing/editing samples.
To the email: [email protected], please mention the job title in the subject line of the email.
Only complete applications written in English will be considered, and short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or age.
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is an independent think-tank that seeks to foster change through knowledge production with a focus on Yemen and the surrounding region. The Center’s publications and programs, offered in both Arabic and English, cover political, social, economic and security related developments, aiming to impact policy locally, regionally, and internationally.