The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time editor. The Center’s publications cover an ever-expanding spectrum of topics related to Yemen, including politics, diplomacy, the economy, military developments, security, society, gender, humanitarian issues, accountability and the environment.
As the successful candidate for the full-time editor position, you will play a central role in all aspects of the production cycle, collaborating with other members of the editorial, research and senior management teams. You will work immediately under the chief editor, editing articles, policy briefs and papers for publication, helping writers develop and structure ideas, and posting finished articles online.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Sana’a, while the majority of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East and in western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks, and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As an editor, you will be expected to perform all reasonable and appropriate tasks to assist the production cycle of the Sana’a Center’s editorial department, as per the direction of the chief editor and in close cooperation with fellow editors, senior management, researchers, and writers. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Rewriting copy, and structural and stylistic editing to improve the clarity of meaning and argument.
- Copyediting for grammar, usage, spelling, and punctuation in line with the in-house style guide.
- Helping writers develop and structure ideas.
- Compiling research and consulting with the center’s in-house experts.
- Line-editing, proofreading, and fact-checking.
- Posting articles online.
- A command of English that goes well beyond grammar and vocabulary.
- An intuitive sense of how the arrangement of words impacts their reception and the ability to craft them appropriately for the audience at hand.
- In editing others, being able to identify and strip away the language habits, confusion, bias and ego that can blur the message.
- The ability to properly structure a sound argument at 5,000 words or more.
- The ability to work remotely.
- The ability to travel periodically for Sana’a Center events.
- A strong background on Yemen and/or the Gulf region is a plus.
- A strong background in Economics is a plus.
- Fluency in Arabic is a plus.
- Reports to: Chief Editor
- Contract type: Fixed Term
- Duration: 12-month renewable
- Starting salary: To be determined based on experience
- Location: Remote
- Joining date: As soon as possible
How to apply:
Interested candidates can apply by sending the following:
- CV and a cover letter
- Three professional writing/editing samples.
To the email: [email protected], please mention the job title in the subject line of the email.
Only complete applications written in English will be considered, and short-listed candidates will be contacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or age.
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies
Founded in 2014, the Sana’a Center is one of the few independent research centers that has continued to operate in Yemen throughout the ongoing conflict. While the Center maintains cordial relations with all key stakeholders, it has remained fiercely unaligned with any of the belligerent parties. The Sana’a Center has thus maintained a unique position and the ability to work throughout Yemen and beyond.
The Center maintains a strong network across Yemen with access to key political, military and security figures, tribal leaders, the financial sector, economists, journalists, humanitarian actors, civil society, and other important stakeholders. The Center has also established a broad network and presence within the international community, connecting it to international organizations, diplomatic circles, regional and international policymakers, research centers and global forums.
The Sana’a Center’s reports and researchers are widely quoted in local, regional, and international media outlets, while the analysis of the Center’s experts is regularly sought out by local and international stakeholders.
|Salary:||Depends on experience|
|Type:||Fixed Term , Full-Time|
|Contract duration:||12-month renewable|
|Working hours:||40 hours per week|
|Application Deadline:||September 16, 2022|