|Salary:||Dependent on experience.|
|Location:||World , Yemen|
|Working hours:||8 hours per day|
|Application Deadline:||February 10, 2020|
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time Gender Specialist to lead gender research and to provide technical support in all contracts and projects the Sana’a Center is implementing. Also to advise staff and consultants, and to deepen gender-sensitive integration within Sana’a Center programs.
The Gender Specialist will work closely with the center’s programs and editorial departments in designing qualitative and quantitative research studies using a gender lens at all stages. Responsibilities also include mentoring researchers on gender mainstreaming and developing their skills in integrating gender within the scope of the studies.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multilingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Sana’a, while the majority of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East and in Western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
Role and responsibilities
- Management of the Sana’a Center’s gender program and supervision of the program team.
- Support visibility with potential donors to identify and propose, in substantive briefs, areas of possible cooperation on gender-related projects.
- Compile, analyze and interpret gender issues and gender-related statistical data; thoroughly research and prepare analysis and reports.
- Provide gender analysis and substantive input into research and policy briefs as well as other strategic documents.
- Produce and launch reports.
- Facilitate knowledge-building and mainstreaming of gender-sensitivity within Sana’a Center projects and actively participate in adding a gender lens to all Sana’a Center products.
- Advise and support Sana’a Center management on gender issues.
- Training and capacity building support for Sana’a Center staff on gender issues.
- Production of periodic updates and briefs on issues related to gender in the Yemen context to be used by management as well as stakeholders/partners.
- Management of events and publications on gender issues.
- Master’s/doctorate in gender studies, or relevant social sciences discipline.
- Extensive experience in gender research and policy-level analysis in Yemen in Yemen.
- Experience with different research approaches, designs and methods, such as qualitative, quantitative and mixed; experience with statistical modeling, analysis and standard software packages an advantage an advantage.
- Fluency in Arabic and English; experience designing and conducting research and writing in both Arabic and English.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills Arabic and English (oral and written) and relationship management skills.
- Experience in providing gender-sensitivity training would be an asset would be an asset.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours with staff spread across multiple time zones.
- Reports to: Director of Research
- Starting salary: To be determined based on eexperience
- Contract type: 12-month renewable
- Location: Yemen, but open to applicants abroad in the case of an exceptionally strong candidate.
- Travel: 30% of time working
For those interested, please email [email protected] with the following:
- Your CV and a cover letter.
- 2 samples of published research work done by you
Application Deadline: 10th of Feburary
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or age.
More about the Sana’a Center:
Founded in 2014, the Sana’a Center is one of the few independent research centers that has continued to operate in Yemen throughout the ongoing armed conflict. While the Center maintains cordial relations with all key stakeholders it has remained fiercely unaligned with any of the belligerent parties. The Sana’a Center has thus maintained a unique positioning and ability to work throughout Yemen and beyond.
The Sana’a Center maintains a strong network across Yemen with access to key political, military and security figures, tribal leaders, the financial sector, economists, journalists, humanitarian actors, civil society and other important stakeholders. The Center has also established a broad network and presence within the international community connecting it to international organizations, diplomatic circles, regional and international policy makers, research centers and global forums.
The Sana’a Center’s reports and researchers are widely quoted in local, regional and international media outlets, while the analysis of the Center’s experts is regularly sought out by local and international stakeholders.
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is an independent think-tank that seeks to foster change through knowledge production with a focus on Yemen and the surrounding region. The Center’s publications and programs, offered in both Arabic and English, cover political, social, economic and security related developments, aiming to impact policy locally, regionally, and internationally.