The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies is seeking a full-time translator. The selected candidate will work closely with all Sana’a Center departments.
We are a dynamic, highly mobile, multi-lingual team with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Our main office is in Yemen, while most of our team works remotely from locations across Yemen, around the Middle East and in Western capitals. Among our core strengths are our versatility, initiative, access, networks and audacity. We seek new team members who would complement this dynamic.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide high-quality translation, Arabic to English and English to Arabic, of the following: research papers, in-depth reports, research proposals, short articles, commentaries, website content, and formal and informal correspondence as needed.
- Be familiar with technical content such as economy, politics, international aid, military and security, gender and human rights.
- Ensure finished products capture the original meaning and tone.
- Be willing to assist with interpretation occasionally in one-on-one meetings and some internal meetings.
- Coordinate with relevant departments for the timely translation of papers to meet strict publication deadlines.
Qualification and Skills:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in translation, English language, or English literature.
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in written and oral translation/interpretation.
- Fluent spoken and written English and Arabic.
- Interpretation skills and ability to interpret via Zoom and other online
- Excellent listening skills, verbal and written communication.
- Good knowledge of the Yemeni context.
- Dynamic and detail-oriented and able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Reports to: Research Director.
- Contract type: Fixed Term.
- Duration: 12-month renewable based on the fund availability.
- Starting salary: To be determined based on experience.
- Location: Remote.
- Joining date: As soon as possible.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can apply by sending:
- Cover letter
- Two samples: Arabic to English and English to Arabic, between 1,500-2,000 words each
- Academic qualifications
To the email: [email protected], please mention the job title in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: January 07, 2022
Only complete applications written in English will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or age.
The Sana’a Center for Strategic Studies
Founded in 2014, the Sana’a Center is one of the few independent research centers that has continued to operate in Yemen throughout the ongoing conflict. While the Center maintains cordial relations with all key stakeholders, it has remained fiercely unaligned with any of the belligerent parties. The Sana’a Center has thus maintained a unique position and the ability to work throughout Yemen and beyond.
The Center maintains a strong network across Yemen with access to key political, military and security figures, tribal leaders, the financial sector, economists, journalists, humanitarian actors, civil society, and other important stakeholders. The Center has also established a broad network and presence within the international community, connecting it to international organizations, diplomatic circles, regional and international policymakers, research centers and global forums.
The Sana’a Center’s reports and researchers are widely quoted in local, regional, and international media outlets, while the analysis of the Center’s experts is regularly sought out by local and international stakeholders.